About Project FINISH
Project FINISH is an inspiring new meetup group in Madison, WI for everyone out there who’s been sitting on an important, back-burner, “maybe someday” project and wants to finally make it happen. It’s for everyone who needs that special brand of kick-in-the-pants that only a group of total strangers can provide.
Who it’s for
Project FINISH is for those of us who may have been waiting for:
- that exhilarating, magical flash of inspiration
- things to settle down at work
- the kids to graduate
- ourselves to graduate
- enough time
- enough money
- etc. (your unique excuse here)
It’s for people with unfinished projects (whether it’s too many or just one), people with unstarted projects, people with ADHD, Renaissance people, polymaths, procrastinators, dreamers, dabblers, tinkerers, perfectionists, people with writer’s block, people who haven’t yet figured out time management, people who have (come! share your wisdom!), and everyone in between.
Together we will figure out (for those of us who don’t know already) what each of us needs to do in order to finish (or start!) that certain project/dream, and then we shall go forth and do it! and return to share our anecdotes, mishaps, successes, failures (what?! that’s not going to happen!), ideas, advice, theories, sketches, mockups, drafts, plans, works-in-progress, wadded-up balls of paper, and of course, our final products, whatever they may be.
So what sorts of projects are we talking about here? Anything. Whatever is important enough to you that (insert mental image of you on your deathbed, regretting not having done it, then remembering—sigh of relief!—I’m not on my deathbed yet! There’s still time!) It may be something creative or common, something the relatives keep encouraging or something that would make them cringe, a grandiose endeavor or a humble practice, an ember of an idea or a new spark. Whatever it may be, you KNOW what it is, and you know you need to do it.
What we do
What will we do at our meetings? Nothing’s set in stone yet, but here are some ways I think we could help each other:
- discuss our individual projects and how we’d like the other group members to help us reach our goal(s)
- share ideas, strategies, and resources for time-management, goal-setting, organization, creative inspiration, dealing with burnout, etc.
- as desired, provide and receive project-related emotional support & cheerleading
- as desired, provide and receive accountability in a neutral way that our spouses, partners, friends, family, colleagues, etc. may not always be able to provide
- celebrate each other’s accomplishments, large and small, on the path to our goals
- offer advice when things aren’t working
- brainstorm ideas and solutions
- maybe even, just for kicks, swap way-old projects that we KNOW we’re never actually going to do. (I must come to terms with the sad fact that, no, I am never going to finish my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles drawing with everything done except for the legs, which I never did get done in time for my brother’s long-ago 8th birthday…any takers?) Or, submit them to the UFO Museum!
- any other things you’d like to get out of the group that I haven’t thought of yet. Bring your ideas!